Watchmen is a 2009 blockbuster film based on the Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons graphic novel of the same name which was published from 1986-1987. Originally, the story was a riff on the superhero problem in society in which Alan Moore created a satirical world based on well known Charlton Comics superheroes.
The movie itself, however, is far from a satire and instead opted for a serious and borderline maniacal tone when looking at how an alternate earth would view superheroes. For some, it’s a polarising take on the much loved team of Alan Moore created heroes. For others, it’s an impressive achievement by director Zack Snyder.
Today we want to test you on your knowledge of the Watchmen movie and its characters. Use this quiz to test your friends, or print it out for your next game night. Let us know how you did on social media!
Watchmen Trivia Questions and Answers
1. How many stars are on the American Flag in the Watchmen movie?
Answer: All of the U.S. flags in the film have 51 stars, because in the film’s alternate history, Vietnam became the 51st state after America won the Vietnam War.
2. Who does Jackie Earle Haley play in Watchmen?
Answer: Jackie Earle Haley plays the part of masked superhero Rorschach.
3. Who kills The Comedian?
Answer: Adrian Veidt aka Ozymandias is the one who kills The Comedian in the opening scene. However, the audience doesn’t find this out until towards the end of the film.
4. Where does the ‘Who watches the Watchmen’ saying come from?
Answer: “Who watches the watchmen?” was spoken by Aristotle responding to the theory of Plato about filakes (Watchmen) who will be the ultimate, infallible authority in the city-state. Aristotle said “Pios tha filatei tus filakes?” (“Who watches the watchmen?”) to deny that theory. In the graphic novel, the phrase is never fully seen, being always either partly covered or incompletely written. In the film, the complete phrase appears at least twice.
5. Which famous actor was originally cast in the role of “Doctor Manhattan”?
Answer: The part of Dr. Manhattan was originally cast with Keanu Reeves, according to Billy Crudup. Reeves dropped out ultimately leading to Crudup taking over the role.
6. How long did it take to film Watchmen?
Answer: The film was shot over a period of five months.
7. How much did it cost to make Watchmen?
Answer: The film’s budget was $120 million.
8. Did Zack Snyder make a cameo in Watchmen?
Answer: Zack Snyder appears as a U.S. soldier during the Vietnam Battle. He is on the chopper with the Comedian.
9. How many Bob Dylan songs are featured in the Watchmen movie?
Answer: Three Bob Dylan songs are used in the movie. “The Times They Are a-Changin'” for the opening credits, “All Along the Watchtower” near the end, and “Desolation Row” for the closing credits. All three songs were referred to in the original graphic novel. “The Times They Are a-Changin'” is the only one where the Bob Dylan version is used as the other two are covered by Jimi Hendrix and My Chemical Romance.
10. Who does Patrick Wilson play in Watchmen?
Answer: Patrick Wilson plays the part of Nite Owl II. He gained 25 pounds for the role in order to look like an out of shape and out of conditioned superhero.
11. Amongst the main cast who was the biggest fan of the graphic novel?
Answer: Jackie Earle Haley was the only one of the main actors who was already familiar with the comic book. He actively campaigned for the part of Rorschach, dyed his hair red and filmed his own audition video.
12. Who was the hardest character to cast in the film?
Answer: Zack Snyder found casting for The Comedian to be a difficult process, as the character is gruff and grizzled. Most of the actors he met with he felt were too groomed. Jeffrey Dean Morgan was very grumpy during his meeting with Snyder, something that appealed to him a great deal.
13. Which country did Adrian Veidt AKA Ozymandias want to unite with the United States of America in the Watchmen movie?
Answer: The Soviet Union
14. Where did Doctor Manhattan temporarily exile himself to in the movie?
15. Which actor was behind the blue glowing superhero Doctor Manhattan in the movie?
Answer: Billy Crudup
16. Which composer scored the music for Watchmen?
Answer: Tyler Bates
17. Malin Åkerman played Silk Spectre II in the movie, but who played the first Silk Spectre?
Answer: Carla Gugino
18. What was the name of the right-wing tabloid that Rorschach leaves his journal with at the end of the movie?
Answer: The New Frontiersman
19. Who directed Watchmen?
Answer: Zack Snyder
20. What was the name of the dwarfish crime boss, played by Danny Woodburn, who was imprisoned in the same jail as Rorschach in the movie?
Answer: Big Figure
21. Which villain did The Comedian confess the secret of the Watchmen conspiracy to?
22. Which famous song played over the movie’s iconic intro?
Answer: Bob Dylan’s “The Times They Are a-Changin’”
How many Watchmen Trivia Questions Did You Get Correct?
We hope you enjoyed our Watchmen movie trivia questions. How many did you get right?
Let us know on social media.